Thursday, November 8, 2007

Superhero Surgeries

I had a conversation last week about reconstructive surgery, and how it's strange that no one has jumped on the idea of improvement-based surgery. In other words, how come I can get my knee fixed if it's broken, but I can't get some doctor to tweak my knees to give me superhuman jumping abilities? It seems like there'd be a huge market for that. I, for one, would definitely opt for super jumping, and I'm sure there are tons of musicians who would be interested in ultra-fast fingers.

Well, it turns out there are a variety of procedures that can enhance the human body beyond our boring, regular abilities (link courtesy of Mental Floss). Specifically, you can add several mph to your throwing speed, increase your flexibility, and (with some added peripherals) develop supersensitive, directional hearing. Hooray for science!

No comments: