Thursday, October 18, 2007

New Weezer/Rivers Cuomo

Rivers Cuomo has a sort-of-new album coming out in December. I say sort-of-new because it's actually a compilation of acoustic demos recorded between 1992 and 2007.

I'm pretty excited about it, mostly because of the huge timespan it encompasses. As much for academic interest as for musical curiosity, I'm interested to see how the Rivers Cuomo Songwriting Style has evolved with the times. Maybe we'll be able to pinpoint the exact moment when Weezer switched from being a songwriting superpower to a forgettable pop-rock band.

Speaking of which, Weezer (the whole band) has a new album coming out next year, and the band claims that it's a daring and experimental record. I really want it to be awesome, but the last few albums have me wondering whether I should still be excited about Weezer, or if it's going to be another album of Beverly Hills. Time will tell.

No comments: