Thursday, October 25, 2007

In Event of Moon Disaster

I've spent the better part of the last week watching The West Wing, Season 1, to which I've become hopelessly addicted. As a result, I've also been much more interested in all things presidential lately.

With that in mind, I found this speech very interesting, in a morbid, what-could-have-been kind of way. It's titled "In Event of Moon Disaster", and it was written by presidential speechwriter Bill Safire on July 18, 1969. The speech was intended to be read by Richard Nixon in the event that Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin made it safely to the surface of the moon, but found themselves unable to leave.

Aside from being a fascinating snapshot of the White House's inner workings during one of the United States' most ambitious ventures, it makes me wonder... how many other worst-case-scenarios does the US have speeches ready and waiting for?

No comments: