Sunday, September 23, 2007

Gels and foams and... dehydrated oil? Is that even possible?

Last February, I had the chance to head down to Chicago with some of my favourite people in the world, with two missions:

#1) Run around and play in big museums and historic architecture
#2) Eat at Alinea.

Alinea, for those of you out there who don't spend unhealthy amounts of time reading about food, is a Chicago restaurant that specializes in molecular gastronomy. Molecular gastronomy is essentially the marriage of haute cuisine super-fancy cooking, and mad scientist laboratory experiments. To give you an idea of the kind of food served at Alinea, I have included a picture of their bacon trapeezes.


That's a single strip of applewood-smoked bacon, wrapped in butterscotch, dehydrated apple ribbons and thyme. It is every bit as delicious as it sounds, times a million. I highly recommend Alinea to anyone in the Chicago area who wants to eat the most interesting meal of their life, and is OK with the idea of spending half a month's grocery budget on a meal. It's not exactly an everyday kind of thing, especially on a student budget, but even with the somewhat extravagant pricing, I still feel like it was a spectacular value. Best dish of the night: olive oil ice cream, with orange sorbet and dehydrated olive oil powder. How do you dehydrate an oil?! There's no water to dehydrate! Madness!

Now, onto the important, self-serving part of this post. Alinea is releasing a cookbook next year, which I would give my left arm to read. Preorders are already being taken, and by preordering, you get access to a website with all sorts of extras, including video lessons on how to do some of the wacky stuff they do in their kitchen. I'm pretty sure elves are involved in most of it. In any case, they're only accepting preorders from the US, which brings me to my request: if anyone out there has a permanent US address they'd be willing to let me use to preorder the book, please let me know. In return I will make you dinner, featuring some sort of ham foam, cooked with a laser beam.

No comments: